The meeting was opened by club president Dennis McCarthy at 5:30 pm on May 9. In attendance were Joe Dudiak, Ken Kozin, Kathi McCarthy, Dennis McCarthy, John Krake and Charlie Stage.
- The International Safety Fair:
The Clayton Diving Club will host a table at the Safety Fair to be held on Saturday, June 1. The Fair will run from 11:00 – 2:00 at the Pool House at the Bonnie Castle Resort. The CDC will have examples of dive flags, handouts of their Diver Flag Awareness poster, examples of a shipwreck buoy and many other items.
- Shipwreck Buoys
Ken Kozin scheduled the installation of the shipwreck buoys for Friday, May 17 at 9:00. John Krake and Joe Dudiak will assist in that effort.
- Divers Access Dock
Charlie Stage reported that the Divers Access Dock has not yet been placed in the river. He will contact the Village to get a potential date for this year’s dive season.
- The Village of Alex Bay is planning a Spring cleanup dive around the village docks on Saturday, June 8. Members of the Clayton Diving Club are invited to assist. The meeting place is at the main village dock between ‘Top of the Bay’ and Coleman’s ‘Dock of the Bay’ at the end of James St. Divers should arrive before 9:00 AM and be ready to enter the water by 9:30. The village will provide volunteers to assist on shore. Lunch will also be provided. If you are interested, please contact Pete Whitmore at 315-783-9990 or at email email@example.com to let him know you are planning to attend. If you have an onion bag it is suggested you bring it to collect trash.
- Dennis McCarthy provided a 3D model from a gopro video provided by Bob Sherwood of a sunken power boat off of Bonnie Castle. There was discussion regarding a club dive to film the Maggie L shipwreck in order to prepare a 3D model of that wreck. We would need teams of divers to film the various views of the wreck. Dennis will provide instructions on how to take the videos prior to diving. Anyone interested should contact Dennis at firstname.lastname@example.org. A date for the dive will then be determined.
- There was much discussion regarding the proposal to make a section of Lake Ontario a National Marine Sanctuary. The sanctuary would include Lake Ontario from Rochester into the St. Lawrence river near Cape Vincent. NOAA is asking for public comment and is holding public meetings regarding their proposal. A local meeting is scheduled on June 13 in Watertown at the Jefferson Community College at 6:30 PM. More information can be obtained at https://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/lake-ontario/
- The meeting was adjourned at 6:45 by president Dennis McCarthy.
Reminder: The membership dues for the 2019 dive season is now due. A release form needs to be submitted each year. The form and mailing address can be found on the website at https://claytondivingclub.blogspot.com/p/join-us.html